If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart. – Nelson Mandela
This is also one of the pillars of digital marketing.
Nowadays more and more businesses are looking forward to expanding their operations to other markets and reach new borders. Promoting your brand just in English may slow down the process and limit the results. Even though English is a widely spoken language, for many people it is difficult to grasp the idea in a foreign language and when they search for something they want to buy, they do it in the language of their country.
So, what to do?
The most obvious answer is to promote your brand in the language of your customers. However, translation can become a real deal-breaker, as literal translation can fail to deliver the message and as a result, it will affect the brand’s reputation.
Even big and famous companies at least once had this problem. For example,
– When Pepsi introduced the slogan “come alive with Pepsi” in its ad campaign in West Germany due to the word-to-word translation in German it meant ‘come out of the grave with Pepsi’. The result was as expected: it failed to generate any market response from the customers.
– Another unsuccessful translation of the Pepsi slogan “Pepsi brings you back to life” this time translated into Mandarin entered the market as “Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave”. Not very appealing, right?
– One more example, in this case of cultural references, was when Procter & Gamble launched the Pampers campaign in Japan. Pampers entered the market with a stork delivering a baby packaging, but the performance was very poor. Do you know why? It turns out that people were confused with the image, as in Japan giant floating peaches bring babies.
– One more example of translation blunder is Schweppes’s slogan “Schweppes Tonic Water”. It appeared in the Italian market as “Schweppes Toilet Water”. The result is predictable, right?
According to Cateora and Graham, “international marketing is the performance of business activities designed to plan, price, promote and direct the flow of a company’s goods and services to consumers or users in more than one nation for a profit.”
So, what are the reasons for companies to market internationally?
For many businesses, their audience is abroad. E.g. rental car services, real estate, the travel industry and so on.
- It helps to expand the target market and increase the client database.
- It is necessary to increase brand reputation.
- It makes the product understandable and affordable to a diverse audience.
- You open the door to prospects.
- It gives opportunities to connect businesses abroad.
However, before expanding the business’s reach, you should understand the logic, mentality, and culture of your clients, as well as the language they speak. Not just know but feel it!
We are a professional digital marketing agency that knows how to “talk” to your clients. We have created various campaigns in English, Arabic, Russian and French. Recently we welcomed professional Farsi and Chinese speaking copywriters and translators on board.
Imagine you own a new or a reputable company that has a great revenue promoting your services in English. Now you changed the approach and targeting an international audience. You spent an impressive budget on the campaign, omitting the importance of the accurate translation of the content. What will you get in return? Your campaign will fail that will not only lead to a drop in sales but can also cost you reputation.
In this type of scenario, what were the possible mistakes?
- The translation was not localized meaning that words and expressions were not considered in the target language which led to misunderstanding.
- Misjudging the importance of SEO led to mistakes in texts and descriptions, links, and names.
- Ignoring social media and the importance of the content was compromised by mistakes and inaccurate translation.
To avoid these issues, you need our help. As a professional advertising agency in Dubai will make sure that all the points are covered, texts are adapted to the target languages, content follows the cultural rules.
If you are looking to internationalize your business, we will help you to:
- Translate Social Media content
- Prepare and execute Social media advertising
- Do the analysis and prepare campaigns for Google advertising
- Take care of SEO marketing campaigns (keywords, links, URLs, tags, articles, etc.)
- Website translation
- Translation of the descriptions of products and services
- Prepare the content for WhatsApp Marketing